Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
G. Miller and R. Conrad
Week 3 - July 7-9
Boards and Beyond - Required
List of Boards and Beyond Videos along with length
Boards and Beyond does not allow direct linking to specific videos. Links will go to the topic page where you can scroll to the video.
This Week: 15 minutes
Sub-Category 02: Obstructive and Restrictive Diseases
- Restrictive Lung Disease - 15 min
Restrictive Lung Diseases (RLD): Neuromuscular Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD)
|Approach to Restrictive Lung Diseases
- Describe the mechanisms by which restrictive lung disease can occur.
- List the pathophysiologic consequences of restrictive lung diseases.
- Identify common physical examination findings in restrictive lung disease, differentiating by etiology.
- Identify the principal pathophysiologic processes that lead to restrictive lung physiology: neuromuscular
- isease, interstitial disease, skeletal anomalies, and pleural filling.
- Explain the interventions that may improve restrictive lung disorders.
- Compare and contrast clinical diseases associated with restrictive physiology.
|Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD)
- Describe how interstitial lung diseases affect gas exchange at rest and with exercise.
- Compare pleural pressure excursions in restrictive interstitial lung disease compared to health and neuromuscular diseases.
- Distinguish among inflammatory interstitial lung disease by etiology, pathology, treatment options, and prognosis.
- List pharmacologic interventions used in ILD and explain mechanism of action and biological effects.
- Explain the effects of neuromuscular weakness on airflow, gas exchange, and cardiovascular physiology.
- Differentiate the physiologic consequences of neuromuscular disease from those associated with interstitial lung disease, skeletal anomalies, and pleural space filling.
- Compare treatment options for a range of NMDs and discuss mechanism of actions, side effects and drug interactions.