Skip to Main Content
October 30 - November 3
PBL - Enrichment Readings
Week 2 - Pathology TBL
- Describe the pathogenesis and etiology of esophageal ulcers (infectious, chemical, etc).
- Discuss the pathogenesis of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Explain the pathogenesis of Barrett esophagus and its relationship to GERD.
- Outline the histologic sequence and molecular events responsible for progression of glandular metaplasia to esophageal adenocarcinoma in Barrett esophagus.
- Correlate the unique biology of Helicobacter pylori and its role in the pathogenesis of peptic ulcers.
- Summarize advantages and disadvantages of tests available for diagnosis of H. pylori infections.
- Contrast histopathology, etiology, pathogenesis, and clinical features of chronic gastritis due to H. pylori and autoimmune gastritis.
- Classify anemias based on mean cell volume (MCV) of red blood cells.
- Explain the role of cellular and humoral immunity in the development of autoimmune gastritis.
- Depict the biochemical events responsible for megaloblastic anemias.
- Predict neoplastic complications of autoimmune gastritis based on its pathogenesis.